Thursday, January 16, 2014

My Favorite Kind of Afghan

I love to crochet and this past Christmas I made my parents and grandma an afghan. I am making another one for my cousin and that one will be the one pictured in this blog.

When making this afghan I use three strands of yarn at one time. It's quite an awesome way to make a blanket. The blanket turns out really nice and warm too.

What I use for a twin size blanket:

A 1/2 inch crochet hook
Three different colors of yarn. In this blanket I will be using Red, Black, and White.
1 - 1lb Red Heart Super Saver White
2 - 7oz skeins Red Heart Super Saver Hot Red
2 - 7oz skeins Red Heard With Love Black



I start the blanket off by tying all three strands of yarn together.
Then I cast the yarn onto the hook and start my chain.
For a twin size afghan I chain 51 (full/queen 91, king 111, you can also just gauge it yourself)

Then I single crochet in the second chain from hook. Most patterns abbreviate their stitches instead of typing them out all of the time. Ch for chain and sc for single crochet. Those are the only two stitches I use in this blanket. So nice and simple.
For single crochet insert hook into next stitch

Wrap yarn over hook and pull through leaving two loops on hook then wrap yarn over and pull through again leaving only one loop on hook. Repeat all the way across.
Here's what a few stitches look like on the base chain.
At the end of each row its important to chain once. This helps keep the rows even and to make sure you don't skip stitches at the end of the rows.
For the second row you will turn the blanket around and single crochet in the stitch closest to the hook but not on the single chain spot.
Then just single crochet all the way across the second row and chain one at the end.

I crochet the whole blanket until I run out of one color. That usually makes the blanket long enough for a twin bed. Even though the yarn weighs about the same weight the yardage is different.

This afghan ended up being about 4.5 feet long. It will stretch though so for this particular project that is the perfect length.

I do make these and sell them custom. If you would like one made and don't want to make one yourself please feel free to let me know :)

I hope you like this blog and that it helps get the creative juices flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment