Sunday, March 9, 2014

Beef Enchilada Freezer Meal

Beef Enchilada Freezer Meal

One of my favorite meals growing up was enchiladas! We would have them as often as we could. It wasn't too expensive and fed our family of 7 with some to spare. So today I am making beef enchiladas with a few minor changes to the way my mom makes them.

We are going to make them like a casserole instead of individual enchiladas. Makes it faster and you don't have to worry about messing up the enchilada when dishing it up.

You will need (made some changes after taking photo below)
This recipe makes two large pans of the dish. I use one to eat now and one to freeze for a later date.

4 lbs of ground beef
2 lbs of cheese (I used 1 lb cheddar and 1 lb mozzarella)
Corn tortillas
2 small cans (or one big can) olives, I used chopped and sliced today.
Large can of red enchilada sauce
Two pans. I am using the foil pans from Sam's club. Cheap and makes dishes easier.

Shred the cheese.
 Brown hamburger meat in a large skillet, drain, and mix in olives
Start layering the ingredients in the pans. Start with the meat mixture.

Then add a layer of cheese.

Next I put the tortillas. I just folded them in 1/4 and they broke up well enough to cover the cheese.


Another layer of meat.
Layer of cheese.

Layer of tortillas.


More cheese. (I like cheese)

Pour on half a can of enchilada sauce per pan. You can dilute it if it will be too spicy for you straight from the can.
You can cover and freeze or cover and cook. When cooking preheat oven to 375* and bake for 45 minutes. If you freeze it make sure when you decide to cook it you let it thaw in the refrigerator over night. That way when you cook it you don't end up with some parts burnt and some frozen.


I hope you enjoy this simple quick way to prepare a meal I know I love. I love cooking when I get the chance. With 3 kids under the age of 5 it doesn't happen as often as it used to!

Thanks for reading. Please comment if you have any questions or if you made this meal and what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment